NMU publishes its latest War and Strikes Update
Authored by NMU
Because of increased insecurity in the northern Cabo Delgado region, Mozambique has been added to the JCC Cargo Watch List, with a risk score of 2.9 (high).
Brokers are encouraged to share this update and the information below with cargo policyholders.
For Cargo Insurance policies arranged by NMU, the availability of cover against War and Strikes risks is determined by Munich Re Syndicate Ltd (MRSL) by reference to the risk levels within the JCC Cargo Watch List, which are established independently by IHS Markit for the Joint Cargo Committee of Lloyd’s and the IUA (commonly known as “the JCC”).
The geopolitical situation in every country and territory is continually monitored by IHS, and their risk scores are updated monthly, or more frequently if there is particular conflict, unrest or political instability.
There are seven risk levels that correspond to the risk scores:
- Low – 0.0 to 0.7
- Moderate 0.8 to 1.5
- Elevated 1.6 to 2.3
- High 2.4 to 3.1
- Very high 3.2 to 4.3
- Severe 4.4 to 6.4
- Extreme 6.5 and higher
The JCC Cargo Watch List was most-recently updated on 2nd July 2021 and previously on 4th June 2021, with the following significant change(s):
- Mozambique has been added to the Watch List, with a risk score of 2.9 (high)
- The risk score South Sudan has been reduced to 3.1 (high) from 3.4 (very high)
Corresponding MRSL rate changes take effect from 09:00 GMT on 16th July 2021.
- War risks means war, civil war, rebellion, insurrection or civil strife. It also includes damage caused by derelict mines, torpedoes, bombs or other weapons of war. War risks are only covered during transit.
- Strikes risks means damage caused by strikers, riots or civil commotions. It also includes terrorism in the UK.
If countries or territories are in the news because of events like these, then it can be considered likely that exposures will at the very least be subject to additional premium. And in particular, for those classified as “very high”, “severe” or “extreme” by IHS, the availability of War and Strikes cover should be checked in advance, as explained below.
Information about risks posed worldwide can also be found at https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/resources/the-world-factbook/index.html
For most countries and territories, NMU premiums are inclusive of MRSL’s basic rate for war and strikes risks cover, the exceptions being:
- Where covered, countries and territories for which the Risk Level is “elevated” or “high” may be subject to a surcharge rate typically not exceeding 0.10% and 0.15% respectively.
- The availability of cover (if any), the terms and conditions and the rate for countries and territories where the Risk Level is “very high”, “severe” or “extreme” is subject to change, and will only be determined at the time of shipment or the attachment of risk; notice to us of any such shipments or exposures is therefore required.
The surcharge rate or the availability of cover (if any) is applied in the following way:
- For transits, at the time transit commences.
- For storage that is not in the ordinary course of transit, if insured, by reference to the most recent update to the JCC Cargo Watch List on an ongoing basis.
Full details of the countries and territories within these groups can be found below.
This information is valid until the next change in the JCC Cargo Watch List, which is reviewed every month, or more frequently at times of heightened tension.
Risk Level = Elevated1
These countries and territories are typically subject to a surcharge rate not exceeding 0.10%:
Risk Level = High1
These countries and territories are typically subject to a surcharge rate not exceeding 0.15%:
DR Congo2 11
Gulf of Aden6
Risk Level = Very High, Severe or Extreme1
The availability of cover (if any), the terms and conditions and the rate for these countries and territories is subject to change, and will only be determined at the time of shipment or the attachment of risk; notice to us of any such shipments or exposures is therefore required:
Central African Republic2 3
Gulf of Guinea7
Occupied Palestinian Territory12
For more information about War and Strikes or Cargo Insurance, CLICK HERE, leave a message and youTalk-insurance will pass your enquiry on.
1 As at 2nd July 2021.
2 Legislation in these countries may prohibit the insurance of imports or exports outside them.
3 Sendings to or from these locations are not normally covered unless specifically agreed by us in writing.
4 Within 200km of land border with Ukraine plus Black Sea within territorial waters.
5 Plus Black Sea within territorial waters.
6 Gulf of Aden sea area and to 65° E off the Somali coast, bound to the north by latitude 23°30 N, and bound to the south by 12°S and in the Red Sea by 14°N.
7 Gulf of Guinea, in the sea area between 4°30’W 5°8’44.274″N and 3°6’13.966″W 2°20’12.8″N in the west, and 9°46’18.636″E 2°20’12.8″N (Cameroon-Equatorial Guinea border) in the east.
8 Assam, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Kashmir, and Nagaland.
9 North Caucasus Federal District, less Stavropol Territory.
10 Republic of Congo.
11 Formerly Zaire.
12 The Gaza Strip and the West Bank, including East Jerusalem.
13 Persian or Arabian Gulf and adjacent waters including the Gulf of Oman west of Longitude 58°E, in respect of bulk oil and petrochemical products including LNG and LPG.
14 Singapore Strait in its entirety and the South China Sea bound at 4°N to the north, 1°N to the south and 106°E to the east.
NMU is an award-winning provider of insurance solutions across a range of product lines.
Established in 1982 to actively trade in the provincial market, NMU provides a range of innovative insurance solutions backed up by award winning service. NMU have since grown to become a leading player, with a network of strategically placed offices.
At the heart of our business are competitiveness, service, attention to detail, innovation, flexibility and the fair treatment of customers. What sets us apart, is our ability to provide bespoke insurance solutions that are not simply off the shelf, but built upon a real understanding of the risks faced by policy holders.
We provide insurance solutions to more than 15,000 customers. Our range of products encompasses:
- Cargo: imports and exports, storage, distribution
- Marine Equipment: ROVs, AUVs
- Freight Liabilities: haulage, freight forwarding, warehouse keeping
- Engineering: construction and plant, machinery, deterioration of stock, computer equipment
- Terrorism: property damage and business interruption
- Marine Trade: Public liability, employers’ liability, buildings, contents, business interruption and other covers for the marine trade industry
- Motorsport: vehicles, trailers, tools and equipment
- 21 Oct 2021
- 18 Oct 2021
- 11 Oct 2021
- 7 Oct 2021
- 4 Oct 2021
- 16 Sep 2021
- 19 Aug 2021
- 12 Aug 2021
- 29 Jul 2021
- 19 Jul 2021