How to protect yourself from frozen and burst pipes
Authored by NMU
Every winter, millions of pounds worth of damage is done, both domestically and commercially, through frozen and burst pipes.
Whilst a frozen or burst pipe in the home may be inconvenient and costly, a burst pipe could potentially cause irreparable damage to your business. The true cost of water damage in the work place is not always immediately obvious. The initial consequence of a burst pipe will be damage to stock, electrical equipment and machinery. Direct costs will be incurred for plumbing repairs, clean-up and salvage activities, but beyond that, you may also suffer a loss of client confidence through late deliveries and you may even permanently lose clients to competitors.
There are, however, several cost-effective, simple and quick steps that can be taken to avoid such risks:
- Ensure that all stock is clear of the floor by at least 100mm and not touching the roof or side walls of the building.
- Familiarise yourself and your staff with the location of your stop-cock and ensure that everyone knows how to turn it off in an emergency.
- Identify possible ‘freezing risk points’ in your system, these include areas where it is particularly draughty.
- Fully lag all pipes, especially those in exposed or unheated areas, and ensure that insulation is replaced as soon as it starts to show wear and tear.
- Insulate water tanks on all sides, but not underneath – this will allow warm air to circulate.
- If you are not operating over weekends or are having an extended Christmas break, it may be worth leaving the heating on low.
- If you have outside taps, isolate and drain them if they are not going to be used.
- Regularly run taps that are served from exposed pipe work.
- If your building is fitted with sprinklers, seek professional advice from the installation or maintenance company.
Other Factors to Consider
As winter approaches, you should always make sure that your general maintenance is kept up to date, for example:
- Making sure that gutters and drainage systems are inspected and cleared of any obstructions, leaves or other debris.
- Taking care to ensure that combustible materials are kept a safe distance away from heaters.
NMU is an award-winning provider of specialty insurance solutions
We are the first choice for brokers looking for specialty insurance, offering solutions that are not simply off-the-shelf, but built upon a real understanding of the risks faced by policyholders. This, together with our ability to write risks such as storage, installation, construction and exhibitions outside of the UK and offer terrorism cover on overseas property, sets us apart from the competition.
You can count on us, when you need us most! We are NMU
Our team of professionals based across the UK, provides customers with an in-depth product knowledge and a real personal service.
We provide bespoke insurance products that are not simply off-the-shelf solutions, but built upon a real understanding of the risks faced by policyholders as well as offering added value services to benefit our clients.
Our product and services range comprises:
Cargo Insurance: Marine cargo policies cover goods during import and export, including any incidental storage, as well as domestic distribution. Stock throughput polices can cater for all this plus other, intentional storage…read more
Freight Liability Insurance: Covering the liabilities to which hauliers, freight forwarders and warehouse keepers are exposed when they contract to move or store goods owned by others…read more
Engineering Insurance: Covering contractors’ all risks (CAR), erection all risks (EAR) and contractors’ plant; machinery movement (and installation), breakdown and business interruption; deterioration of stock; and electronic risks…read more
Marine Equipment Insurance: Covering remotely-operated and autonomous underwater equipment – ROVs, AUVs and the like…read more
Terrorism and Sabotage Insurance: Standalone terrorism cover can be a more flexible and cost-effective alternative to traditional placement routes…read more
Motorsport Insurance: Designed for commercial risks, our motorsport policy offers 24/7 cover for teams at all levels across all disciplines…read more
Cyber Insurance: Providing SMEs with a simple, robust solution for cyber liabilities, cybercrime and restorative support…read more
Risk Control: Whilst we pride ourselves on our claims service, there is far more benefit to policyholders in preventing loss and damage in the first place…read more
Online Facilities: To complement our award-winning service, we use online facilities to assist NMU policyholders and brokers alike…read more
Claims Management: We pride ourselves on prompt and efficient claims management, which is supported by the use of independent surveyors and adjusters to quantify larger losses and to give advice on mitigation measures…read more