Home & Legacy publish flood warnings advisory for brokers and their clients
Following the hot, humid and dry period, severe rainfall is expected over the coming week and flood warnings have been issued across areas of England and Scotland:
If you have customers in the affected areas, you may wish to direct them to Floodline (0345 988 1188), for useful information regarding the exact flood locations, which should help them get as prepared as possible with their flood plans.
Weather alerts are available from the Met Office, and you and your customers can sign up for flood warnings from:
- Environment Agency - England
- Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA)
- Natural Resources Wales
Making a claim
If any of your customers are affected by the impending severe weather and need to make a claim, find out the best way to get in contact with our claims team on the claims page of our website.
You may wish to share the following advice with your customers:
Flood Risk Management Advice
- Create an emergency plan for your property and your family – if there is a flood, what do you need to do and who do you need to contact?
- Prepare a ‘flood pack’ to include a torch, first aid kit, warm clothes, blankets and water and make sure your mobile phone is fully charged.
- Make sure your insurance documents and any other important contact details are in a safe dry place.
- Subscribe to the Floodline direct warnings service provided by Environment Agency (EA) and Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA). You can sign up to receive free advance flood warning messages direct to your landline or mobile phone, which will alert you when a flood warning message has been issued for your local area.
What to do in the event of a flood
- Move property from lower floors to higher levels but do not risk hurting yourself.
- Be prepared to turn off essential supplies – gas, electricity and water – at the mains.
- Have sandbags ready to block doors. Some councils provide these for ‘at risk’ homes or they can normally be obtained from building supplies retailers.
- Listen to the advice of the authorities and follow any instructions they give to leave property.
- If you are told to wait for the rescue service please do so. Flooded streets can be dangerous in ways that you cannot immediately see.
- Be warned that a small amount of moving water is enough to sweep you off your feet.
Authored by Home and Legacy
Established in 1995, Home & Legacy is one of the leading providers of high net worth insurance in the UK. We are best known for providing high value household insurance, bespoke motor, landlord insurance, worldwide travel and building works insurance. What’s more, with options for non standard, thatch, second homes, overseas properties, yachts and pleasure craft, we have solutions for all your clients’ needs. Our experienced advisors are dedicated to providing a first-class service. And if it becomes necessary to make a claim, our in-house team handles this to the highest standards. youTalk-insurance is sharing Home & Legacy insurance news and video.
- 22 Oct 2020
- 19 Oct 2020
- 9 Sep 2020
- 3 Sep 2020
- 13 Aug 2020
- 20 Jul 2020
- 6 Jul 2020
- 18 May 2020
- 14 May 2020
- 4 May 2020