What are the top 10 destinations for Valentine's Day
Authored by Covéa Insurance
Why do we celebrate Valentine’s Day? The day gets its name from a famous saint but over the years there have been many variations of the original story. The most popular belief is that St Valentine was a priest from Rome in the 3rd century AD who, after marriage was banned by Emperor Claudius II, married lovers in secret. When the Emperor found out, the saint was sentenced to death. However whilst he was in jail he fell in love with the jailer’s daughter and when he was taken to be killed, on the 14th February, he sent her a love letter and signed it “from your Valentine”.
Since then the popularity of Valentine’s Day has grown and is now one of the most popular holidays in the year worldwide - in 2018 £650 million was spent in Great Britain alone (up 25% since 2015).
Different ways of celebrating Valentine’s Day can include going for a meal and buying luxury items for your loved one (or yourself) and one of the most popular ways to celebrate the day is by going away for a weekend city break. Thankfully for those of us living in Great Britain, a trip to somewhere in Europe doesn’t take too long – it takes less time to get to Amsterdam than it does to watch a football match. With that in mind, we’ve canvassed opinion around our team as to what our top destinations would be for a romantic trip away.
Top 10 destinations for Valentine’s Day:
- Paris, France – there was only ever going to be one city that topped this list and it had to be the “city of love”
- Venice, Italy – a city renowned for its art, history and romantic gondola rides is one not to be missed
- Vienna, Austria – waltz your way around this capital city and listen to the orchestra that’s been capturing the hearts of a nation for 175 years
- Verona, Italy – visit the hometown of Romeo & Juliet and declare your love under the famous balcony
- Bruges, Belgium – with its “Lake of Love” and “Lovers Bridge” it’s the ideal location to go to for Valentine’s Day
- Prague, Czech Republic – in the heart of Europe visit the city that’s been considered one of the most beautiful cities in the world since the Middle Ages
- Oslo, Norway – in this wintery setting be sure to wrap up and take a stroll on the Kjærlighetsstien or “The Love Trail” to those not up to date on their Norwegian
- Budapest, Hungary – a place where it’s easy to escape from the winter chill and into one of the famous thermal baths (Recommended bath: Szechenyi)
- Cannes, France – you too ‘cannes’ feel like a celebrity in the city known for its red carpets and A-lister visits
- Dubrovnik, Croatia – this picturesque city has been placed under special protection by UNESCO and was also the backdrop for one of the most famous television programmes in the world – Game of Thrones (we don’t suggest being inspired by the antics in this tv show for a romantic weekend though!).
If you’ve got plans to go away this Valentine’s weekend make sure that yours (and your loved ones’) insurance policies are up to date as you don’t want to be caught short and turn what was supposed to be a romantic holiday for two into the holiday from hell.
At Covéa Insurance we can offer Executive Travel, which also includes VIP lounge access if clients are delayed so they can still enjoy pleasant surroundings and continue the holiday feeling. As part of our home insurance policies, Executive Plus and Executive Home, then we have worldwide possessions so the contents of suitcases will be covered, plus, for those planning to make the weekend extra memorable… our single article limit for jewellery has just been increased to £35,000 for Executive Plus.
Whatever you do, we hope you have a lovely time!
To speak to someone at Covéa about any of the the above Executive insurance policies, CLICK HERE, leave a message and youTalk-insurance will pass your enquiry on.
Covéa Insurance is the UK underwriting business of the leading French mutual insurance Group Covéa and offers competitively-priced household and motor insurance, along with a range of commercial insurance products designed to meet the needs of most businesses, through a nationwide network of intermediaries. Regional distribution teams based in 9 regional offices offer brokers and insurance intermediaries direct access to senior underwriters. Covéa Insurance handles the insurance needs of over 1 million policyholders.
- 13 Feb 2020
- 30 Jan 2020
- 29 Oct 2019
- 14 Oct 2019
- 30 Sep 2019
- 1 Aug 2019
- 15 Jul 2019
- 19 Jun 2019
- 13 Jun 2019
- 13 Jun 2019