Be prepared to have a Green Card driving abroad following Brexit on 29th March


With negotiations continuing over the United Kingdom’s exit of the European Union, and uncertainty surrounding the terms of the Brexit deal, we want to provide an update on the potential impact on customers should the UK leave the EU without a withdrawal agreement. It is important to note that nothing has been formally agreed at this point, but intermediaries and customer should be aware of the potential implications on the motor insurance industry.

Guidance from the Association of British Insurers (ABI) and Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB) is that drivers should be prepared to have a Green Card when driving abroad after midnight on the 29th March 2019.

Why is a Green Card needed? A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which guarantees that the motorist has the necessary third party insurance cover. These certificates prove that customers are suitably insured to drive in these countries. A physical copy of a Green Card on green paper is needed when travelling as digital copies are not currently accepted. If customers arrive at the border without a physical Green Card, they will not be allowed to drive in that country.

What does it mean to your customers? At present, Covéa Insurance customers have a motor insurance policy that allows them to drive within the European Union, cover is still in place and nothing will change. If your customers are planning a trip that is completed before the 29th March 2019 then there is no change for them.

How will we be issuing Green Cards?

The process of issuing Green Cards for driving within the EU is currently being implemented by us. Until more certainty is provided about the formal agreement, the guidance in the interim is that customers should contact us, as the insurer, if customers intend to drive abroad at least a month before travel. There are some differences in the approach we will be taking across our business areas, detailed as follows:

Personal Lines & Commercial Lines – Covéa Insurance will issue Green Cards for customers travelling overseas when they are required. In order to arrange this, please speak to your regular Covéa Insurance contact.

High Net Worth – Covéa Insurance will automatically issue Green Cards for all vehicles we are covering under an Executive Motor policy (identified by a policy number with an EM prefix). The Green Card will be valid until the renewal date of the policy, at which point an annual Green Card will be issued.

If you know that a policyholder will already be driving in the EU after the 29th March 2019, please let us know to ensure that a Green Card can be issued prior to travel.

Will there be a fee for Green Cards? Covéa Insurance will not charge to issue Green Cards to private car customers.


Latest video

Covéa launches brand new e-Trade Commercial Combined insurance product

Covéa Insurance is proud to launch their brand-new e-Trade product.Carolyn Callan, Commercial & High Net Worth Director, plus Eugene O’Callaghan, Acturis e-... click here for more