Driverless Insurance and Legal report calls for government-led data regulations
- Insurance and Legal 2019 report recommends 10 data principles for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (CAVs).
- Third and final report by insurer AXA and law firm Burges Salmon as part of the government’s FLOURISH consortium.
AXA UK and Burges Salmon have published their Insurance and Legal 2019 report, stressing the importance of government and industry stakeholders implementing a ‘data-map’ for driverless vehicles.
As part of the FLOURISH consortium, whose members include AXA UK, Atkins – a member of the SNC-Lavalin group, University of Bristol and Age UK to name a few, the insurer and law firm have published 10 data principles1 – the first of their kind in the Connected and Autonomous Vehicle (CAV) industry.
These data principles issue guidelines for the protection of data in the CAV ecosystem and elaborate on current GDPR legislation. The aim is to support and guide government and industry stakeholders as they develop CAV products and services.
Some of the key principles include:
- Data Mapping: Organisations will need to carry out a full data mapping exercise to identify any data that will be processed during the lifecycle of a CAV and to be transparent with customers, gaining user trust in the CAV ecosystem.
- Build privacy by design: CAV technology should be developed to only collect data that is needed and is proportionate to requirements. As far as possible data should be anonymised or pseudonymised to protect individual’s rights.
- Follow cyber security best practice: All systems and services in the CAV ecosystem should have appropriate technical and organisational measures in place to protect personal data.
- Collaboration: There will need to be ongoing conversations between CAV stakeholders regarding what data should be collected and what should be shared; channels of communication (between governments, OEMs, communication network providers and all other stakeholders in the CAV sphere) will be needed to ensure that communication is kept open and ongoing.
Types of data include information on surrounding cars and vehicles, passenger routes and preferences, local infrastructure, vehicle performance and more. A data map will help ensure this data is used wisely and determine which stakeholders require access to this data, when and why.
The Insurance and Legal 2019 report also emphasises that without proper management of driverless data, information from driverless vehicles, their passengers and local infrastructure could be vulnerable to misuse.
“This is the third and final Insurance and Legal report AXA and Burges Salmon have created in conjunction with the FLOURISH consortium, and I think it’s safe to say that the project has achieved its goal of creating clear and concise recommendations for data sharing in relation to CAVs. Without data, driverless cars will not exist, so it’s up to us to prove to consumers that their data will remain safe and secure while providing all the benefits of driverless technology.”
— David Williams, MD Underwriting & Technical Services, AXA Insurance
“Data is the new fuel. Developing the data legal/insurance framework in the CAV ecosystem - balancing protections and effectiveness for CAV users and other stakeholders - remains a priority. That will ensure the UK remains a leader in the global CAV market. Burges Salmon remains committed to help make this happen.”
— Chris Jackson, Head of Transport Sector, Burges Salmon
To upload the full report CLICK HERE
In July 2012 the AXA Commercial Lines and Personal Intermediary businesses came together to form a new single organisation – AXA Commercial Lines and Personal Intermediary. Led by Amanda Blanc, the business offers brokers a more integrated and consistent approach from AXA which is focussed on their needs as a business – whatever the product. AXA Commercial Lines & Personal Intermediary provides underwriting expertise, offering a range of commercial lines and personal lines products and insurance solutions to our brokers and customers. AXA Commercial & Personal Intermediary is part of AXA Group, a worldwide leader in insurance and asset management serving 101 million clients.
- 6 Jan 2020
- 5 Dec 2019
- 3 Dec 2019
- 2 Dec 2019
- 27 Nov 2019
- 27 Nov 2019
- 25 Nov 2019
- 18 Nov 2019
- 18 Nov 2019
- 6 Nov 2019