Allianz Head of Motor Claims discusses risks of young drivers
It’s undeniable! Young drivers are at significant risk when they get behind the wheel. Just look at the statistics:
- 17 to 24 year olds account 7% of licence holders. On average they drive a lower annual mileage. And yet they account for around 16% of road deaths.
- Road traffic collisions are the single biggest cause of accidents to young people accounting for approximately 15% of all deaths of young adults.
- In 2017, 313 people were killed in crashes involving young drivers. Of those 108 were the young drivers, 55 their passengers, and 150 other road users.
One Allianz claims handler attended an event recently and heard from the parent of an 18 year old who tragically lost her life when driving. As a parent himself he was moved by the experience.
Tony Newman, head of motor claims at Allianz said:
“The lady got the ‘knock at the door’ that’s every parent’s worst nightmare. Through my professional life I’m all too familiar with the real life tragedies that cross our desks every day. I’m also aware that a disproportionate number of those tragedies involve young lives and were completely avoidable. Young drivers aren’t reckless. They are simply inexperienced.”
Allianz’s own research revealed that 80% of the parents said they were anxious about the safety of young drivers. Parents also said:
- 73% want a 12 month probationary driving period
- 68% want the number of passengers restricted after the test has been passed
- 63% want the driving test raised to 18
“It’s not easy to ask your young son or daughter to remember they are inexperienced drivers and to drive cautiously without sounding preachy. But, a gentle reminder now and then is a very good idea.”
Allianz Insurance is one of the largest general insurers in the UK and part of the Allianz Group, a leading integrated financial services provider and the largest property and casualty insurer in the world. The mission of Allianz Insurance is to be the outstanding competitor in our chosen markets by delivering products and services that our clients recommend, being a great company to work for and achieving the best combination of profit and growth. We aim to achieve this by putting the customer at the heart of everything we do.
Allianz is able to offer customers a wide range of products and services including home and motor and commercial insurance with full range of products and service for sole traders' right up to large commercial organisations. Allianz Insurance employs over 4,500 people across a network of 20 offices in the UK and the company’s Head Office is situated in Guildford, Surrey. Our heritage and financial strength help make Allianz what it is today; a safe and trusted partner. Over 40 FTSE100 companies partner with Allianz. youTalk-insurance sharing Allianz Insurance news and video
- 28 May 2020
- 26 May 2020
- 14 May 2020
- 14 May 2020
- 12 May 2020
- 4 May 2020
- 30 Apr 2020
- 6 Apr 2020
- 30 Mar 2020
- 26 Mar 2020