Zanzibar fake death mother sentenced to two and a half years for life insurance fraud


Mother from Walsall sentenced to two and a half years imprisonment and son, also from Walsall, given 12-month community order for conspiracy to commit fraud by false representation

Attempted to fake the mother’s death in a car crash to claim £140,000

African hospital had no record of her death

Mother fled to Canada but was arrested when she re-entered the UK in February 2017

On Wednesday 12th July 2017, a mother was sentenced to two and a half years imprisonment and her son was given a 12-month community order for conspiracy to commit fraud by false representation after they conspired to fake the mother's death in order to claim £140,000 worth of life insurance.

Arafa Nassib, 47 and Adil Kasim, 18 (both from Walsall) claimed that Nassib had died in a car crash in Zanzibar in April 2016.

The Zanzibar death certificate

The case was referred to the City of London Police’s Insurance Fraud Enforcement Department (IFED) by the insurance company Scottish Widows in November 2016, after it became suspicious of the documentation Kasim had provided when he tried to make a claim against his mother’s (Nassib) life insurance policy in May 2016.

In May 2016, a claim was sent to Scottish Widows against two life insurance policies with a value of nearly £140,000. The claim was submitted from the beneficiary of the claim, Adil Kasim, who notified Scottish Widows by sending a letter with a death certificate from Zanzibar.

Scottish Widows was suspicious of the claim and an investigation was launched by its fraud team. It was claimed that Nassib attended the Mnazi Mmoja Hospital where it was documented she had been pronounced dead.  However, it was later established that she had not been at the hospital, nor had she been treated by the doctor who Kasim had named in a life insurance questionnaire.

It was later established that the death certificate and road traffic accident reports that they had provided in order to make the claim were falsified.

Furthermore, the Zanzibar death registry office confirmed that Nassib was not buried at the location claimed.

Return to Birmingham

The investigation found that Nassib flew back to Birmingham from Zanzibar on 6 May 2016. On this day, she used her mobile to make a number of calls to Kasim.

Kasim was arrested on 22 December 2016. On his arrest, many items were seized from him including a mobile phone, a passport and flight tickets. Whilst being interviewed, Kasim admitted that he and his mother had planned the fraud and that his mother was now living in Canada to avoid detection. He described their plan for Nassib to go to Zanzibar to visit family and when she was out there, to obtain the necessary documents to falsify her death.

 Officers made contact with Nassib whilst she was in Canada and she returned to the UK on 8 February 2017 where she was arrested by detectives from the City of London Police.

During her police interview Nassib said that she was in debt which was getting hard to manage and causing her stress. Nassib admitted knowing her death had been fraudulently reported to the government in Zanzibar when she was there in April 2016.

No money was paid out in relation to the claim.